Sunday, August 25, 2019

What Would You Choose?

APA Citation for Ted Talk video:

Rotberg, S. [TEDx Talks]. (2018, March 6). Navigating Genetic Disease Testing: A Personal Story [Video File]. Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_O5TfMVqD8

I chose to my last Neuro Note on Huntington's Disease.  The reason I chose this particular disease is because I honestly wasn't aware of the condition before taking this class.  I think I had heard it briefly mentioned before in another class I took in undergrad, but other than that, I knew nothing about Huntington's.  I find it both fascinating and saddening that such a condition exists, but I'm hoping that with further advancement in research, a cure, or at least a way to lengthen the life expectancy of those with HD, can be found.

I ended up watching a Ted Talk on YouTube and the guest speaker was Seth Rotberg.  He was a younger man, and he opened up his talk by explaining that he had been tested positive for Huntington's Disease, since his mother had the illness as well.  He goes on to tell his story about how as he was growing up, he never really wanted to be around his mom due to the physical impairments she had because of HD.  He was 15 when he learned the name of her condition, and was a sophomore in college when he made the decision to get tested for the disease, since a parent with HD has a 50% chance of passing it down to their child(ren).  Once he had found out he tested positive, he didn't tell his family for over two years.  He discussed that once he had told them, there was immediate relief and he regretted not telling them sooner.  He goes on to discuss that he continues to live each day to the fullest and hopes that a cure for HD is found soon.

I do recommend people watch this video, because it follows the journey of a young man who is roughly our age and we see how he copes with knowing what his condition is and still tries to live life and find happiness in it, despite knowing what he has.  I also do hope that a cure for HD becomes available, and I do hope to see that cure within my lifetime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment